My little sister Niamh made these iced buns at the weekend. She’s 10 so I was quite impressed with her mad skills. The only thing she didn’t do was put them in/take them out of the oven (probably a wise call). She made the icing and iced them herself too. Dead proud!
She used a Rachel Allen recipe that I’ve copied below. Her icing was just icing sugar, water and copious amounts of food colouring… (There are a load of towels in the pictures because she kept spilling icing everywhere, and I ate one of the buns before she’d finished icing!)
Rachel Allen’s Fairy Cakes
- 125g (4.5oz) butter, softened
- 125g (4.5oz) caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 150g (5oz) plain flour
- ¼tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Line a 12-hole fairy cake tin, or a 24-hole tin for mini cakes, with 12 (or 24) paper cases.
- Cream the butter in a large bowl or in an electric food mixer until soft. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating continuously, then sift in the flour and baking powder.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the paper cases using two teaspoons for mini cakes or two dessertspoons for larger ones. Cook in the oven for 8-12 mins, or until golden and springy to the touch. (The mini cakes may take just 5 mins.) Transfer the cakes to a wire rack to cool.
- When cooled the cakes can be iced!